5 faith-based hospitals, clinics and associated medical groups in the Pacific Northwest with more than 1,000 staffed beds
- Consistently incurring approximately $60 million in Operating Room late charges
- Delayed patient bills for clinical documentation reasons unrelated to finance
- Unclear accountability for documentation processes, audits, follow-through and revenue capture
- Completed an assessment to identify the type of errors occurring and their root causes
- Tracked errors to the individual offenders looking for root causes
- Facilitate education sessions for staff to understand which errors were consistently being made, reinforced software program requirements and improved the EMR to facilitate easier documentation for clinicians.
- Groups of clinicians, finance staff and managers met in three work out session to determine how improvements to the EMR or documentation processes would lead to fewer errors
- Clinical Leadership assumed the accountability for monitoring, providing ongoing education, performance counseling and process improvement for clinical documentation
- Established a policy that patient bills would only be held for reconciliation for items categorized as implant or for other revenue capture infractions such as time, level charges, etc.
- 50% reduction in documentation errors
- Charge errors log established